276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Newcomer: A heartwarming, feel good novel perfect for an escapist read

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Pee-pee,” Maya wailed, right on cue. The kid’s timing was flawless. Like her mother’s, Letty thought ruefully. I received advance copies of the ebook and audiobook from St. Martin’s Press and Macmillan Audio, respectively, via NetGalley. I would recommend the print version over audio given the presence of a 4-year-old prominent character. That much of a grown woman doing baby talk really started to grind my gears after awhile. Everything about this particular story was predictable, and while I did enjoy the resolution; the book overall did not satisfy me like I hoped it would! I still can’t wait for her next book though, because MKA is a great writer.

I received a copy of this book from St. Martin's Press and Netgalley in return for an unbiased review. Look for THE NEWCOMER on 5/04/2021!After Tanya’s death, Letty immediately went on the run. Do you agree, or disagree, with her actions? What would you have done? I’m not sure if the editing was to blame or if this was just a one-off for this well-loved author- but whatever the case, I’m still looking forward to her upcoming Christmas novel and have a few of her older titles on my summer reading list. She turned to the cop, trying to tamp down her fear and annoyance. “Look. I’m totally sober, just really tired. I’ve been driving all night, and I pulled in here about an hour ago. I was waiting for the motel to open, so I could get us a room. Now, can you please go away, so I can take my little girl to the bathroom?”

Letty Carnahan is in trouble. She’s on the run from New York City; she has her four-year-old niece, Maya in tow, and her sister was found dead in the entry hall of her glamorous townhome. Letty believes she knows who did it: her sister’s awful, money-grubbing ex-husband, Eli Wingfield. Letty can’t forget her sister Tara’s insistence: “if anything bad ever happens to me–It’s Eli. Promise me you’ll take Maya and run. Promise me.” I’m really sorry, hon, but if you’d called ahead, I could have told you we’re booked solid. It’s still high season, you know.” If anything happens to me, Evan did it. Take Maya and run." Tanya always warned her sister that Evan was dangerous. She made Lettie promise to protect four year old Maya. Just run. Run away as fast as you can.Hi,” Letty said, forcing a weary smile. “Thanks so much for letting us use the bathroom. It was kind of an emergency.” Lettie has no plan - only a "go bag" that Tanya had prepared and a magazine with a Florida motel ad circled in it. Letty shook her head. “I really had my heart set on this place. I’ve heard so much about it, and I promised Maya we’d be at the beach.” “It’s that doggone Southern Living article,” Ava said. “Forgotten motel, my ass. It’s been five years, and I’m still turning folks away.” Hoping to stay under the radar and stay safe, things are complicated when Letty and the Motel owner’s son, Joe begin to feel an attraction. Will Letting and Maya be safe at the Motel? What will happen when people see the news programs and announcements about Tanya's murder and May being missing? The Newcomer is my first book by Mary Kay Andrews and it was quite enjoyable. I think it is what you would categorize as a cozy romance which is not my typical choice of romance. I typically like something a bit edgier. This was a fine book about two half-sisters, one good, one kind of messed up, but hey this is not a big surprise in the plot department. Lettie the good sister ends up suddenly leaving New York city with Maya, her sister, Tara’s four-year-old daughter when Tara is murdered. Letty heads to Florida and ends up in a kitschy old motel with a bunch of eccentric old people, a kind-hearted motel owner, and a gruff, but good-looking cop, slash handyman to mix things up.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment